So, here we are again for just a few fab snippets, today on The Netherlands!
As usual, these are just a few snippets, do feel free to comment with more fab facts 🙂
- The Netherlands are the Fifth happiest nation according to the UN World Happiness rankings, and the kids and young people are also happy souls, even though their counterparts in other countries are experiencing increasing rates of depression and anxiety – Go The Netherlands – you’ve got something very, very right!
- The Netherlands have come top of the list in an Oxfam report for being the healthiest country in the world for diet. They have the most healthy and affordable food.
- The Netherlands have the oldest national anthem in the world – words and music date back to the 16th century
- Their TALL folk! Men are the tallest in the world on average, and women are the second tallest in the world!
- Need a bit of Dutch courage? Reach for the gin, which was invented by the Dutch in the 16th centruary!
- There are over 1000 windmills still standing!
- The Netherlands produce around 80% of the world’s flower bulbs! But… TULIPS are not native to the Netherlands! The tulip was imported from Turkey in the 16th centuary!
- The Netherlands is the lowest country in Europe, with 26% of the country sitting below sea level!
- Licourice – it’s an acquired taste – The Dutch love it! so much so they eat 32 million kilos of the stuff each year! that makes them the champions at global liquorice consumption!
- Purple carrots anyone? The orange carrot – you can thank the Dutch for that, during the 16th century, and with careful breeding the Dutch made orange THE colour for carrots, using the carrots at the time, which ranged from pale yellow to purple!
- There is no such thing as queuing in the Netherlands – it’s every man, woman and child form themselves!
- The Netherland’s traditional footwear is the CLOG – a wooden and (usually) painted shoe, and they are still popular with agricultural workers as they’re great for walking on muddy ground. They’ve also been certified as safety shoes!
- The Netherlands football team are said to be the best national team never to have won the World Cup. What a shame, given some great players, including Arjen Robben!
- And speaking of sports, we have to mention Daphne Schippers! she was a 2 time heptathlon world champion and if that wasn’t enough, she is now a specialist sprinter!
- And, i’m sorry for non-sports readers – but we can’t not mention Max Verstappen – the youngest ever F1 driver! He was the grand old age of 17 when he first competed in F1!
- Those forward thinking Dutch plan to ban the sale of petrol and diesel cars by 2025!
- The Dutch were the first to legalise gay marriage!
I have been fortunate enough to go to the Netherlands, but that was so very long ago. I remember it being an absolutely beautiful place as we were driving though, with great markets. I would love to go back again at some point.
I’ve added links to sites I’ve used. Please do add your snippets in the comments box if you have any 🙂